Last updated on November 27, 2023.
Please note that these terms and conditions are translated from Dutch. In the event that there are possible differences in the interpretation or application of these terms and conditions, the Dutch version of our terms and conditions are final.
Article 1. Definitions
- Scribbr: Scribbr, a Learneo, Inc. business, which is located at 542 Singel, 1017AZ, Amsterdam, the Netherlands, and is registered with the Dutch Chamber of Commerce under number 67863019.
- Service(s): All services carried out by Scribbr for you.
- Document(s): All documents provided to Scribbr by you, including, but not limited to, theses, papers, essays, documents, or reference lists.
- Order: An agreement between you and Scribbr in which Scribbr undertakes the provision of certain services.
- Plagiarism Check: A service provided by Scribbr in partnership with Turnitin that utilizes the Turnitin Database to check a Document for plagiarism.
- Proofreading & Editing service: A service provided by an Expert on Scribbr who proofreads and edits an uploaded Document.
- Citation Checker: A service provided by Scribbr that entails a Document being checked for accurate citations.
- Self-Plagiarism Checker: A signature service provided by Scribbr that compares Document(s) with unpublished and private documents, checking for similarities.
- Proofreading & Editing period: The period that ends with the final time and date by which a Document should be checked.
- Expert: A natural or legal person who is engaged by Scribbr to perform the services in an Order.
- Turnitin Database: A third party database that is used to scan documents for plagiarism.
Article 2. Identity of the entrepreneur
Scribbr trades under the names of scribbr.nl, scribbr.com, scribbr.de, scribbr.it, scribbr.co.uk, scribbr.at, scribbr.ch, scribbr.fr, scribbr.es, scribbr.dk, scribbr.se, scribber.no, and scribbr.fi.
- Business and visiting address: 542 Singel, 1017AZ, Amsterdam, the Netherlands
- Email: email@example.com
- Commercial registration number: 67863019
- Telephone number: +31 (0) 20-2616040
- VAT number: NL857203691B01
Article 3. Applicability
- These terms and conditions apply to any tender, offer, Order, or other agreement between you and Scribbr.
- When it appears that one or more of the provisions of these terms and conditions is at any time wholly or partially invalid, the remaining provisions shall remain fully applicable.
- The Services may contain links or connections to third party websites or services that are not owned or controlled by us (“Third Party Services”). We have no control over and assume no responsibility for the content, accuracy, terms and conditions, privacy policies, or practices of or opinions expressed by any Third Party Service that you interact with through our Services. When you access or use a Third Party Service via Scribbr, you may be subject to the terms and conditions of such Third Party Service. The Third Party Services include:
- YouTube API; YouTube Terms of Service (https://www.youtube.com/t/terms).
Article 4. Offer
- An offer contains a complete and accurate description of the Services being offered to you by Scribbr. The description will be detailed enough that you can properly assess it. Mistakes or obvious errors within the offer are not binding on Scribbr.
Article 5. Order
- The Order is concluded when you accept Scribbr’s offer.
- Scribbr will confirm receipt of your acceptance of the offer by electronic means.
Article 6. Modification of the Order
- If during the execution of the Order it is revealed that it is necessary to alter or supplement the Order in order to implement it properly, Scribbr will consult you, and you and Scribbr will agree to any modifications to the Order.
- Scribbr can refuse a request to modify an Order without being in default of the Order or omitting anything therefrom.
Article 7. Cancellation of an Order by Scribbr
- Scribbr has the right to cancel an Order after it has been concluded.
- Scribbr has the right to cancel an Order if Scribbr considers that the Document uploaded by you does not meet minimum requirements.
- The minimum requirements for a Document are as follows:
- The Document must be education related.
- For the Proofreading & Editing service, the quality of the Document must be such that an Expert can check the Document in a standard manner. This assessment of quality is undertaken by Scribbr. When the basic quality of the Document is deemed to be too low, an Expert cannot edit the Document following the normal procedure.
- You must not appear to be committing fraud.
- All content, including Documents, uploaded on Scribbr must comply with our Copyright Policy. Violations of this policy will result in Scribbr canceling an Order.
- When Scribbr cancels an Order, we will contact you as soon as possible.
Article 8. License to your content
By submitting content (including Documents) on Scribbr, you grant Scribbr a nonexclusive, worldwide, royalty free, fully paid up, transferable, sublicensable (through multiple tiers of sublicensees, including Learneo affiliates), license to translate, modify, store, edit, display, perform, reproduce, distribute, and otherwise use your content in connection with the operation or use of Scribbr Services, in any and all media or distribution methods (now known or later developed). The rights granted to Scribbr under this section are perpetual (subject to Article 9, Retention of Documents) and irrevocable, to the maximum extent permitted by law.
For clarity, this license enables us to provide the Services and is not intended to otherwise limit your ownership rights in your content. Moreover, we only share your Documents with Experts and third party vendors to enable us to operate the Services and do not share them with other users.
Article 9. Retention of Documents
- If you purchase a Proofreading & Editing service, Scribbr will store your uploaded Document(s) on its server for up to one year.
- If you purchase a Plagiarism Check, you give Scribbr permission to save the Document in a protected and private Turnitin Database. This database is only accessible by Scribbr, and the documents it contains cannot be viewed by educational institutions. Documents in the protected database within Turnitin are automatically deleted after one month.
- If you purchase a Citation Checker or Self-Plagiarism Checker, Scribbr will store the Document on its server for up to 90 days.
- The nature of the Proofreading & Editing service necessitates that the Scribbr Expert receive the document being checked. Once the Expert has finished checking the Document, they are contractually obligated to delete it.
Article 10. Review period for Proofreading & Editing service
- The proofreading & editing period will be determined when the Proofreading & Editing service is purchased.
- The assigned Expert may decide when the Document is checked, so long as they deliver the checked Document before the deadline.
- Scribbr will communicate the proofreading & editing period to you in advance via email. The proofreading & editing period can also be viewed in the customer area on the website.
- The proofreading & editing period shall begin at the time of payment and end when Scribbr returns the checked Document to you.
- If the Expert anticipates that they will not meet the deadline, Scribbr will inform you in a timely manner.
- Scribbr is not responsible for unforeseen technical problems that lead to you receiving the checked Document late.
Article 11. Deadlines for Plagiarism Checks
- The time required to execute a Plagiarism Check depends on the level of activity at Turnitin, which Scribbr is unable to influence.
- You may only request a refund of the invoice amount for a Plagiarism Check if 24 hours have elapsed since the time of payment and the check has not been completed. You must request this refund before the results of the Plagiarism Check are communicated. You will then be notified by email when the results of the Plagiarism Check are received.
- Paragraph 2 of this Article is not applicable if Scribbr states on its website that Plagiarism Check services are currently taking more than 24 hours.
Article 12. Cancellation instructions
- You cannot cancel a Plagiarism Check.
- You cannot cancel a Citation Check.
- You cannot cancel a Self-Plagiarism Check.
- If you cancel an Order for a Proofreading & Editing service, you are obligated to pay for any costs that Scribbr has reasonably incurred in connection with undertaking the Order.
Article 13. Improvement of Services
Scribbr and its affiliates apply machine learning and AI techniques to Documents for the future improvement of our writing services. Scribbr will endeavor to remove personally identifiable information from all Documents shared with affiliates for this purpose.
Article 14. Take-Down Requests; Claims of Infringement
Scribbr expressly prohibits users from uploading, posting, or otherwise distributing through the Services any content (including Documents) which may violate another party’s intellectual property rights, privacy, publicity, or other rights. If any user believes any content submitted through the Services violates or otherwise infringes upon any of the user’s rights, the user is encouraged to contact Scribbr immediately to request that the allegedly offending content be removed from the Services. The user acknowledges reading Scribbr’s Copyright Policy, which sets forth how to make a takedown request for copyright infringing content.
Article 15. Liability
- If Scribbr is liable, this liability is limited to what is stated in these provisions.
- Scribbr is not liable for damages of any kind that occur as a result of Scribbr being provided incorrect and/or incomplete information by you or on your behalf.
- If Scribbr is liable for any loss, liability is limited to the invoice value of the Order for the portion in the Order to which the liability relates.
- Scribbr is not liable for any damage suffered by you in the event that Scribbr rejects an Order.
- Scribbr cannot be held liable for damage to and/or loss of Documents that are stored by Scribbr or third parties.
- Scribbr cannot be held liable for consequences and/or potential damage to you in the event that it does not meet a proofreading & editing period deadline.
- Scribbr cannot be held liable for failing to discover plagiarism when undertaking a Plagiarism Check or for failing to detect text written by an artificial intelligence machine when using the AI detector.
- Scribbr cannot be held liable for consequential damages. These include, but are not limited to, damages caused by you receiving a poor grade, failing a course or academic program, or other adverse consequences.
- Scribbr has and reserves the right to manage the restitution of damages to you, if possible and to the extent possible.
Article 17. Applicable laws and dispute settlement
- All legal relationships to which Scribbr is party are subject exclusively to Dutch law, including when the other party involved in the legal relationship resides wholly or partly abroad. Scribbr excludes the application of the CISG.
- All disputes will be settled by the competent court in the district where Scribbr is located.